Monday, June 16, 2008

Summer Lovin' or lack thereof

So I accepted an internship with the Testor Corporation located in Rockford, IL this summer. For the most part, it's been great. The people are mostly friendly and easy to work with. The workload is tolerable, and the city isn't THAT bad, so it all works out.

I'm finding that sticking to a budget is annoying, at best. When I'm at school, I just don't spend money because I don't have it. When I'm working and living at home for the summer, I never have to worry about food, rent, electric, cable, etc. I realize that this probably seems childish to all of you older than me who have been doing this for quite some time (see also: everyone I know that blogs.), but I'm just finding out quantitatively HOW much it stinks, so cut me some slack.

That being said, I've been toying with Google Calendar trying to figure out how to make a public calendar viewable so that my parents can see where I'm going to be. I may just embed it in this if I have time.
[edit: I got it to work, but it's at the bottom of the page. Sorry.]

I just got back from a weekend in White Pidgeon, MI with a good friend I meet through Greek InterVarsity. His family owns a lakehouse and so we went tubing and hung out for the week. It was incredibly relaxing and fun. It makes me want to buy a lake house when I get older. At least I have something to hope for now, I suppose...

Last week, I found someone who's going to let me borrow their bicycle for the summer. I may try to buy it off of him at the end of the summer if he doesn't want it. I need to run to Wal-Mart and buy a bike pump tonight, so I'll let you know how that goes. It's an older road bike, but after playing with the deraileurs some, it shifts like a dream, so hopefully the tires hold air.

In the meantime though, I should probably get back to work. They don't pay me to sit here and blog. (Though I guess technically they are right now...)

p.s. - I'm not just exactly where the title of this post came from. I think it may be because I miss everyone from back home a lot, mainly my family and Tori (gf). I mean, I've made friends here, but it's not the same.

No comments: